Jimmy Link Snr at work at his forge, c.1920

“Under the spreading chestnut tree
The village smithy stands
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands,:
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands”
(Henry W.Longfellow)

Blacksmiths circa 1930 thought to be at Dover Packet Yard

Early group of Blacksmiths at Shakespeare Colliery

A small visitor at Jimmy Link’s forge, February 1970 (Dover Express photograph)

Jimmy Link’s old forge on the corner of London Road, left and Bunkers Hill Road, to the right, near Buckland Bridge and the old Paper Mill, of Wiggins Teape. The photograph was used in the Dover Express on May 21, 1982

Various References to some Blacksmiths, Dover (pre 1900) )

ABBOTT, Thos. ‘Blacksmith’ (“Excise”)
(Dover Electors 1802, hand written list in Dover Ref. Library, listing voters – ie Freemen of Dover which records see for more information), who voted for 2 Dover MPs)
Freemen at this time were not necessarily all resident in Dover.

ASHBEE, George head married 33 blacksmith employed born Dover
Emily ASHBEE wife 31 ditto
George “ son single 10 scholar ditto
Albert “ son single 7 “ ditto
+ Ellen HOPPER lodger wid 57 laundress b. Essex, Witham
(Charlton by Dover 1891 Census, 5 Alexandra Cottages, ref 206 ref 207)

ATHERDEN Charles Matthew & Jane of Dover, blacksmith:
Their son Charles Matthew christened 27 Jan 1875 (from DOVER St John Mariner church baptisms 1849-1906 – there were no marriages or burials at this church which was built in St Marys Parish)

AYERS, Richard ’30’ Blacksmith born Kent
Mary ” ’30’ ”
Albena ” 6 ”
Edward ” 4 ”
Charlotte ” 2 ”
(1841 Census, Worthingtons Lane, Dover)

AYERS, Richard ‘Smith. A witness at inquest
(Dover Telegraph 22 May 1847 p.8 col.2)