Gleaming chromium plating is a feature of this smart looking Dover Corporation Fire Brigade fire engine standing alongside the Maison Dieu, probably in the 1930s. (Note the registration number KR 602). Dover Corporation Fire Brigade escape ladder device in Priory Gate Road, Dover, with Dover Priory – Dover College prominent in the background. Photograph used ..
Possibly Dover’s biggest ever fire, at the old Oil Mills in Limekiln Street, later the site of George Hammonds’ Shipping offices. The blaze, with damage estimated at £1 million, broke out in May 1965, the alarm being raised by night watchman Peter Vickery, of Harold Street, at 4am. The fire appears to have quickly gained ..
“A SAMPLE OF DOVER SCAVENGING STAFF” (from 1898 Dover Year Book) THE NEW SCAVENGING SYSTEM: During the year 1897, the Dover Town Council has provided a Scavenging Depot in Tower Hamlets Road, and the necessary plant, horses and stables, to do the scavenging without the intervention of a Contractor. At the meeting of Municipal and ..
An excited body of ratepayers assembled in common hall on the 16th to discuss the alleged waste of water. The consumption of water in the town being very large, the Town Council had been for some time anxiously attempting to devise some remedy, and having been advised by the Town Surveyor that the greater part ..